Tuesday, June 1, 2010
"Reassembled 1" - Green Challenge
I may have stretched the idea of "Green" a bit. I went through several variants before finally finding my way.
I wanted to go along the lines of recycling and reusing but wanted to reach beyond the obvious meaning. I decided to turn my attention toward my UFO box - which offered plenty of options to work with!
The piece that I ended up choosing for this project is shown in its original state below:
I've always liked this piece but it didn't have much energy the way it was and I could never figure out where to go with it to finish it. I randomly chopped it up and put it back together into the composition you see at the top of the post.
After I reassembled it, I did something that I almost never do with my work - I machine quilted it. I am a dedicated hand stitcher but this piece is covered with gel medium and gesso and various paints which would have made hand stitching very difficult or even impossible.
Since I know my limitations when it comes to me and my machine quilting skills, I did a simple grid pattern on it. After quilting, I did some printing with thermofax screens to help pull everything together.
I am really happy with the result and plan to do more pieces like this.