Thursday, January 12, 2012

"Family Makes It a Home" by Jan Girod

I am very late with my "Home" piece for the final challenge. Honestly, life just kept getting in my way....work, family holiday plans, and illness. I have always felt that home was wherever my family is, so began my thoughts for this piece. The house photo was printed on pre-treated inkjet cotton fabric and the family photos are printed on ExtravOrganza. The fabric was so perfect that I could not resist using it, the fabric is called Etchings by 3sisters for Moda.
The piece was machine quilted, then the family photos were attached over the house photo with hand embroidery stitches. Simply embellished with my Grandmothers' mother-of-pearl buttons, a small key and a Habitat for Humanity charm that says "Bless this House", exactly the right concept for this challenge quilt.

When I read what the final word would be "Home", my musings were that it seemed so fitting...our first word was "Sanctuary" and our final word was "Home". Many times I've said, "my home is my sanctuary" and I've always hoped that I've created a "home" for my family that gives them that warmhearted feeling.

5 comments:

  1. Jan, this piece is perfect, and your description really brought it to life. You know, when I was asked to choose the last word for this long set of challenges, I didn't realize its connection to the beginning. I thought of it like "home" on a board game...the last landing place. So, bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liebe Heidi,
    vielen Dank für Deinen lieben Kommentar! Ich wünsche Dir und Deiner Familie gesegnete Weihnachten.
    LG
    Claudine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing blog and very interesting stuff you got here! I definitely learned a lot from reading through some of your earlier posts as well and decided to drop a comment on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. natalie@anagraminteractive.com

    Paperless Post project

    Hi,

    I’m the Community Manager with Anagram Interactive, where we specialize in connecting established brands with prominent bloggers. We’re currently working with Paperless Post, a company that designs customizable online and printed stationery, to show that communication can be personal and well-designed regardless of the medium.

    Paperless Post has partnered with several world-famous designers and lifestyle brands, including kate spade new york, Oscar de la Renta, Jonathan Adler, and Rifle Paper Co., and has delivered over 85 million cards to date. Since you have such an engaging and beautifully-designed blog, we’d like to offer you 600 Paperless Post digital Coins (a $60 value) for free to try out our online service and write about your experience.

    We really think you’ll enjoy Paperless Post and can’t wait to hear what you think. Please let me know if this is something you’d be interested in and I’ll show you how to get started.

    Best,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.

    ReplyDelete